Short Program description of School Bhangra Classes:
Gurdeep’s classes are a fun introduction to bhangra dance and culture, as well as a great fitness activity. During the workshop, Gurdeep teaches 4 to 6 top bhangra moves one-by-one. To make the learning process easier, he breaks down all the moves into several smaller pieces. When all the pieces are put together and moves are well practised, everybody dances the moves to uplifting Bhangra music. He has experience working with all levels of students from kindergarten to grade 12.
Physical Education through Bhangra:
Bhangra Dance Builds Motor Skills
Gurdeep also teaches physical education lessons through Bhangra. Due to its hardcore workout nature, Bhangra is a very suitable sport in school gyms which students love to play. Moreover, bhangra is a great way to build both fine and gross motor skills. Because of coordination, balance and mental-physical energy are key in bhangra, so it incorporates both gross and fine motor skills in a fun and entertaining way.
Connection with the BC Curriculum:
Bhangra is a great way to teach cross-curricular lessons as it has great ties with three subjects- (1) Dance from Arts Education (2) Physical and Health Education and (3) Social Studies. As the schools in the Yukon follow BC Curriculum, so Gurdeep is familiar with this curriculum. His favourite “Big Ideas” from the BC Curriculum, which he uses to create connections with Bhangra are:-
Dance (Arts Education)
- Dance provides opportunities to gain insight into perspectives and experiences of people from a variety of times, places, and cultures. (Dance, Grade 9).
- Dance uses a unique sensory language for creating and communicating (Dance, Grade 9).
- Dance offers unique aesthetic experiences that explore identity, history, culture, and community (Dance, Grade 12).
Physical and Health Education
- Daily participation in different types of physical activity influences our physical literacy and personal health and fitness goals (Physical and Health Education, Grade 7).
- Physical literacy and fitness contribute to our success in and enjoyment of physical activity (Physical and Health Education, Grade 7).
- Lifelong participation in physical activity has many benefits and is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle (Physical and Health Education, Grade 9).
- Finding enjoyable recreational activities can motivate people to participate more regularly in physical activity (Physical and Health Education, Grade 11).
- Canada is made up of many diverse regions and communities (Social Studies, Grade 5).
- People from diverse cultures and societies share some common experiences and aspects of life (Social Studies, Grade 3).
- Canada’s policies and treatment of minority peoples have negative and positive legacies (Social Studies, Grade 5).
- Immigration and multiculturalism continue to shape Canadian society and identity (Social Studies, Grade 5).
Gurdeep’s Teaching Philosophy:
Please visit this page to read Gurdeep’s teaching philosophy!
Gurdeep Pandher is registered with the Government of Yukon’s Artist in the School Program, the program which admits instructors after “RCMP Vulnerable Sector Record Check” and other community testimonials/endorsements to ensure safety and integrity.
If the room-size is a school classroom, then a maximum of 15 students is enough. However, if the workshop venue is the school-hall, then it could be 100-150 students depending upon the size of the hall. So he can work with smaller or larger groups of students depending upon the room-size and the preference of the school. For example, at Vanier Catholic Secondary School in Whitehorse, an estimated 250 school students attended his workshop at the same time in the huge hall. But at Grey Mountain Primary, the school divided the whole school into small groups of 10 students. If there are many small groups, then Gurdeep spends the whole day in school. Whereas the F. H. Collins Secondary School divided all the students into two big groups with 50 students in each group. So, at F. H. Collins Secondary School, Gurdeep taught two sessions with the first group session before and the second after the lunch hour.
- Grade Suitability: K-12
- Maximum Class Size: 15 in class-room (If more, then can also be done in larger groups in school gyms.)
- Time Required: 1.5 hours. (Can be tailored to 1 hour or less if needed.)
- Language of Instruction: English
Gurdeep Pandher is a Whitehorse based Bhangra artist and author. He creates performances pieces that bring people from all backgrounds together to promote inclusivity and diversity. His performances and videos have crossed many borders and are watched by millions from all over the world. Gurdeep’s works have been published by BBC News, CBC National, The Globe and Mail and many international art and media organizations. Gurdeep has taught Bhangra at many schools in Yukon and Canada, working with students from K-12. He is also a dance instructor at the Yukon College. For more information, please visit Gurdeep.ca.
(Note: Kids’ photos published with permission from schools and parents)
A card from my little students:
Social Media Links:-
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GurdeepPandher
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/GurdeepPandher
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/GurdeepPandher
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/GurdeepPandher
Please visit the contact page!