Bhangra for Movement, Unity, Joy, Hope, Mental Health, Community Development, and Cross-Cultural Bridges
- Inclusive community development: Bhangra brings people from different cultures and backgrounds together, promoting cross-cultural understanding and collaboration.
- Combating racism by raising social awareness: By bridging cultural divides, Bhangra helps to break down barriers and foster a sense of togetherness and acceptance among people of all races.
- Health awareness: The high-energy workouts involved in Bhangra not only provide a fun and engaging form of exercise but also raise awareness about the importance of physical well-being.
- Promotes Unity in diversity: By engaging in Bhangra as a collective activity, individuals from diverse backgrounds can come together, celebrate their differences, and promote unity amidst diversity.
- Spreading happiness: Bhangra, with its infectious and joyful dance moves, has the power to bring smiles to faces and spread happiness among those who participate in or witness this vibrant dance form.
(School students from the Yukon performing Bhangra with Gurdeep at the Yukon Arts Centre.)
(This photo was taken at Million-Dollar Falls (on the bank of Tatshenshini River) near the Yukon-Alaska border in 2017. The event was hosted by "Yukon Women in Music". The event was part of the Canadian Heritage Rivers Celebration. People from various cultures and communities came together to dance Bhangra there.)
(In this photo, Emily Payne is dancing Blues Fusion while Gurdeep is showcasing his Bhangra moves. They combine their dances to showcase elements of unity in dance arts at the Yukon Arts Centre in 2018.)
(Nearly 1000 people joined Bhangra with Gurdeep in Whitehorse during the Run for Mom event in 2018.)
(Almost 1000 people participated in Bhangra with Gurdeep in Whitehorse during the Run for Mom event in 2018. They danced together for unity, movement and raise funds for breast cancer.)