The Culture of Care, Community and Belonging:
We believe that it is important to give back to those in need and provide support, including our families, communities, friends, and elders. We are all on this journey of life together, sharing in our successes, failures, losses, and gains. When we step back and look at the bigger picture, it becomes clear that the entire universe is our family, and it is our responsibility to try to give back. Therefore, we must look beyond religions, backgrounds, nationalities, and personal preferences, and instead, reach out to those in need, share what we have, and foster a culture of care. Generosity can have a profound impact on people that goes beyond what we can see. Below, you will find the efforts made by Gurdeep to provide service to the communities across Canada and beyond, and express his gratitude and appreciation by giving back:
- Donated to Care Canada to support COVID-19 patients.
- Donated to Orange Day in Canada for Every Child Matters.
- Donated to Yukon Farmers whose greenhouse was destroyed by a tornado.
- Donated to the Red Cross in Canada.
- Donated to the Whitehorse Food Bank.
- Donated to the Yukon Trappers Association (Donation with love for Valerie and Adele's family. Valerie and her child Adele lost their lives in a heartbreaking bear attack in the Yukon's wilderness) | November 29, 2018.
- Donated to Yukon artist Fawn's music to support her CD release.
- Donated to Yukon singer Kim to support her dream of releasing a music CD.
- Donated to Khalsa Aid food drive at Canadian Food Banks.
- Donated to a Yukoner, Jeszika, to support her dream of attending dance classes.
- Donated to the Yukon Hospital Foundation to support Yukon Hospitals.
- Donated to Concussion Cafe Yukon, a Yukon organization supporting people suffering from concussions.
- Donated to a friend who started a 3500 km hike-walk to raise funds for mental health.
- Donated to a young Yukon fiddle group to support their dream of making a CD (The Watershed: A COVID-19).
- Donated to Jordan in support of the Whitehorse Food Bank during the pandemic.
- Donated to a family in need, whose child suddenly fell into a coma and was taken to intensive care at the South Health Campus in Calgary.
- Also donated to others who prefer to remain anonymous.
- Volunteered for "Run-for-Mom" in Whitehorse, Yukon.
- Volunteered for "Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières".
- Volunteered for "The Terry Fox Foundation".
- Volunteered for the Royal Canadian Navy’s diversity staff.
- Volunteered for the Kidney Walk 2019 - The Kidney Foundation of Canada.
- Volunteered for the Nepal Floods Fundraiser in Whitehorse, Yukon.
- Volunteered for Consent Crew in Whitehorse, Dawson City (Yukon), and Atlin, BC.
- Volunteered for Whitehorse Minor Hockey for the Good Deeds Cup.
- Volunteered for the United Way Breakfast in Whitehorse.
- Volunteered for the Whitehorse Food Bank.
- Volunteered for the Canadian Mental Health Association, Yukon Division.
- Volunteered for Run for Life, a Yukon-based non-profit.
- During our 2018 Bhangra performance, created by Gurdeep, Yukon's charities raised over $1500 through a silent auction that was held to benefit local non-profit societies. The proceeds from this event went to the Yukon Humane Society, along with Little Footprints, Big Steps, in appreciation of the launch of their new thrift store, Whitehorse Yukon Community Thrift Store. All of the items they had brought onto their tables quickly sold out.
- We organized a charity Bhangra event to raise funds for the Whitehorse Outreach Van, a free service provided by Many Rivers Counselling.
Contributions made in the form of making free (or highly discounted) videos or classes:
- Kids Help Phone - Free video
- Video for a sick patient in a BC hospital (anonymous) - Free video
- Scouts Canada - Highly discounted session
- BC Nurses Union - Highly discounted session
- Ontario Nurses - Free video
- First Clap Ontario - Free video
- Video for a mother who lost her son in an accident in eastern Canada (anonymous) - Free video
- Video for someone whose parent is in a BC hospital due to Covid for a long time (anonymous) - Free video
A note to Gurdeep from Kirsten Fox, one of Terry Fox's nieces:
Gurdeep During Volunteering with Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières Team in Toronto in 2022